Hair loss is a reasonably common symptom that has been estimated to effect as high as 85% of men by the age of 50, and 50% of women. With many products out there offering a solution to hair loss, what ingredients should you seek in a hair growth serum?
It can be influenced by a number of factors including:
- + stress, anxiety and depression
- + genetics
- + age
- + hormones
- + nutritional status
- + auto-immunity
- + comorbid conditions
Combatting hair loss requires an understanding of the underlying process(es) in order to provide effective intervention which is often best achieved by a multi-modality approach of topical therapy, clinical intervention and supplementation.
With many products out there offering a solution to hair loss, what ingredients should you seek in a growth serum?
- rosemary oil – a natural anti-inflammatory that may help to reduce scalp inflammation and promote circulation
- biotin – a B vitamin important for cellular energy that helps in the production of keratin (protein predominately found in hair)
- saw palmetto – a natural hormone blocker that may aid in hair loss related to high dihydrotestosterone levels (DHT)
- monoxidil – a potent vasodilator which can improve blood flow to the scalp and hair follicles, as well as aid in the delivery of other bioactives
- keratin – the main protein component of hair, may help to strengthen hair and reduce breakage
- ginseng – may help to initiate and promote hair growth cycling
- ketaconazole – a topical anti-fungal with anti-inflammatory benefits that may help with hair loss associated with inflammation, seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff) and high DHT
- caffeine – may help to stimulate hair growth and reduce the effects of DHT
- procapil – may help to promote hair growth by aiding in energy supply and blood flow to the scalp and follicles
While the above solutions are incredible we understand that you might still be needing extra attention. No matter how hard we work, sometimes serums are just the tip of the iceberg. Luckily, we can provide you with a few solutions to help with hair growth. Check out our gallery for our hair loss patients.